- We are not just a student club – anyone can join, but priority goes to accommodating UQ students, UQ graduates and staff first. However, approx. 40% of our club is non-UQ related.
- We are run entirely by volunteers and do not pay any players
- Prices for 2013 have not yet been set. In 2012 registration was $500 for members of teams playing in Football Brisbane Competitions ($395 for people under 18) and $320 for members of teams playing in the UQFC Social Competition.
- No Student discounts? Sorry, but not yet. While the Student Services Fee is being introduced in 2012, the University is yet to advise how it will distribute this funding. We are hopeful that some savings will be able to be offered in the future.
- UQFC registration fees are cover the entire season and all you need on top of that is socks, shin pads and boots. Other clubs will tout cheaper fees but may charge additional match fees.
We are a big club and our selection approach does not appear all that orthodox to an outsider – the following is wordy, but it explains what you need to know about the men’s teams at UQFC. In 2013, we have two football streams on offer:
- the Football Brisbane Competition (recognised under the Football Federation Australia – i.e. Socceroos, A League, APL, Brisbane Premier League, etc)
- the on campus UQFC Social Competition (unaffiliated social competition run by UQFC).
- Selection for the Brisbane Premier League, top City League (formerly Metro 1) and U18 teams are based on trials. If you fancy yourself a great player, you should get in contact with the club as soon as possible. There may be room for new players throughout the season if you have the skills. These teams train two nights a week (Tuesday and Thursday) and play at home on either Saturday or Sunday afternoon and away on Friday night or Saturday/Sunday afternoon or evening.
- City League Teams (formerly Metro 2 through to Metro 5) have a solid core of players returning each year (predominately ex top level players of the Club), meaning there is usually only limited space available in these teams. These teams usually train one night a week (Wednesday) and play at home on Friday nights and away on Friday night or Saturday/Sunday afternoon or evening.
- The UQFC Social Competition is played exclusively at the University of Queensland (St Lucia -Fields 2 and 4). In 2013 there will be a Friday night and Saturday afternoon competition. Some of existing teams in this league operate like the lower Metro divisions with a solid player base and others change greatly each year. This is the place to start if you are new to uni life and want to meet new people. Many players in our Football Brisbane teams started in a social team. Training for the Social teams is optional one night a week. This competition does not sit below Football Brisbane in terms of quality – in fact some teams from this Competition have moved across to Football Brisbane and won their competition. It is just far less serious, more relaxed and way more social. Great for those with competing weekly commitments.
- So, ready to join? If the try-out/training information is not available on the Club Homepage contact Chris Watts (0131 034 182 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to play for a team in the Football Brisbane Competition or Tim Moore email@example.com if you want to play for a team in the UQFC Social Competition.
- In 2013 we will have teams in The Sapphire League and Divisions 1, 2, 4 and 5.
- Preseason training for all players begins January 21 at Cubberla Creek Reserve (Kenmore Junior Fields – The best parking is off Fig Tree Pocket Road). Training will be Monday and Wednesday evenings. Training will move to the University of Queensland (St Lucia) fields prior 3 March
- Having 5 teams means we cater for all skills levels, but it also means that coaches need time to consider which team is appropriate for you given your playing ability and commitment. Be patient, team selections are flexible. UQFC teams have a history of being competitive across all divisions.
- So, ready to join? Need more information? If you want to play Sapphire League contact our Sapphire League Coach, Otter (on 0422 650 024 or at firstname.lastname@example.org). If you want to join any other team contact our Vice President of Women’s Football – Annelie Marquardt email@example.com.